June 28, 2008

Where did the title come from?

A few readers have asked me where my blog title comes from. In order to explain, I'll have to take you back to elementary school. Grade 4 to be exact. My best friend and I wrote a class newspaper. We charged 25 cents an issue, but of course due to some dumb school rule we were not allowed to keep the money. It's a shame really, because the money should have gone to our parents. My friend's mom typed all of our hand written articles and my mom had them photocopied. Aren't mom's incredibly supportive.

Anyway, the money had to go to something school related so we told the school librarian we would donate a book with the money we made. We were animal activists so we planned to buy a book about animals for the library. At the end of the year, the librarian told us there had been a change in plans. She would pick the book. And guess what it was called? Don't put the mustard in our custard and it wasn't about animals. A photo was taken of us, with the librarian and the book. We are standing there with scowls on our faces -We worked really really hard and didn't even get to pick the book- she certainly put the mustard in our custard that day. :)

Anyway, I've carried that saying with me throughout life. When anyone rains on my parade, I say they put the mustard in my custard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Bet you can't guess where my title comes from. Ha!