August 9, 2007

The Best Years - What were they thinking?

A few months ago I was channel surfing when I cam across a show called the Best Years. I guessed immediatley that it was Canadian. For one thing it just had that feel to it, then there was the fact that I recognized a Toronto location, add to that the lighting and the fact that an actress from Degrassis (another Canadian show) made an appearance and presto, Canadian.

I thought I'd give it a shot as I got hooked on Falcon Beach, another not too bad Canadian show last year.

So you can imagine my shock when a character was introduced as a foreign student from Canada!!!

Turns out the show is a Canadian production but is supposed to be an American show, set in Boston. There is one character who is supposed to be Canadian and of course the other characters are constantly dropping jokes about Canadians, you know - living in igloos, always saying we are sorry for everything and of course not undersatnding the real world....hello we are on the same continent, n'est pas?

Anyway, I really find myself wondering why a Canadian company would produce an American show, film it in Canada and then perpetuate a very incorrect and not to pretty stereotype of one of its own???

And even all of the above aside, my reaction to the show is : YUCK!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that Canadians have an inferiority complex. Additionally, TV writers think that they can reach a wider audience (Canada and the States, at least) if they set a show in the States. It's tried and true, so it's a safer bet. Do shows like Due South, Little Mosque on the Prairie, Corner Gas, or Degrassi do well in the States (other than cult popularity)?

Anonymous said...

Well said, we have such an inferiority complex that instead of coming out with anything new, the strategy here is come up with something that looks and feels american...yucky, yucky