August 5, 2007

NYC midnight madness

So, my last day of work was July 13th! After a few happy dances and dinner and drinks with some friends from work, I decided to kick off my freedom at midnight by entering the New York City Midnight Madness Screenwriting Competition, after all, trying to make it as a screenwriter is why I left, so I figured why even wait a day?

The competition was a lot of fun. They divided participants into heats and then at midnight each heat was assigned a genre and topic. We then had seven days to write a 15 pages short on that topic and genre and were encouraged to be as creative as possible.

Some of the genre/topics were really cool, like: a monster movie about smoking, a mockumentary about wealth, a fairy tale about a pageant.

I was assigned a drama about obesity and was pretty happy with it as I usually write drama or comedy so it wasn't something I haven't done before. The only realy challenge was not letting it turn into a comedy as it would be disqualified if it didn't stay on genre. I didn't want to write something morose and I definelty didn't but my first attempt on day one turned into an outright comedy so I went back to the drawing board and finally came up with a drama which had a few laughs and a good twist.

After sending in my script, hubby and I took off for the airport, destination California, where we are right now. Man this is going to be a great year!

In September they announce the first round finalists, then those finalists will all be assigned the same topic and genre that they must write in just 24 hours. I will keep you posted.

No comments: